Friday, January 29, 2010

Generation Easy

In the essay “Generation A+”, I agree with some of the things Suzanne Britt argues. In my high school almost every student slacked off on their homework and still got good grades. Yes it was partly the students fault for not studying or wanting to learn, but in my school it was also the teachers fault. Our teachers were told to teach what was on the big Kentucky states test, instead of preparing the students for college. By my senior year the teachers did not care anymore and did not want to teach or have us learn the actually subjects they were teaching. In high school I got good grades and did well, but now being in college for one semester I can already tell they did not prepare me enough for college.
I believe that now days we are expected learn more in a year’s time, than back in the day. The grading scale has been lowered and easier for students to earn a better grade. If a student struggles on tests they are still able to pull out a good grade in the class because of the grading scale. I remember in high school not doing the best on some tests but because of the grading scale I still got a high A in the class at the end of the semester. Teachers let the student’s just slide by to get an easy grade.
I do not agree with Britt that today, college is high school and high school is junior high. In my first semester here I have had some very tough class that I believe not all high school students could pass. I was in a few classes that were very hard and required a lot of time to study so I could understand the material. While there were some other courses that were a piece of cake. I think that depending on what your major shows how well you focus to try to do your best.
Britt stated in the essay that she always wonders if students with disabilities really have a problem. I have to agree with her, I feel like there are many ways for students to get out of hard things. Yes, they may have a problem but there are many that just have the note for an excuse to have it easier in school.
When I first began college I noticed that I was not as prepared for college that I thought I was. I would spend all my nights and weekends just trying to understand the material and finishing my homework. In high school I was done with homework in the early evening if I even had any. Now starting my second semester I have already noticed a change how I have been studying. I have not spent my entire night working on homework, I get to relax more and have more time to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment