Monday, April 12, 2010

Game Plan

Kristine Obert
kmobert@mail.usi.edu
Eng. 201.022
Word Count: 1,198

I have chosen for my last writing prompt is to do the first one. It says to imagine that I was writing a story for a publication company. The story needs to written for young adults that are in colleges across the country. I chose this prompt because it fits my topic for the best and I will be able to inform viewers with information they need to know. I hope that my paper will provide people with information they need to know about for young children.
i. Why do you want to research your chosen topic?
I want to research this topic because I feel like this is a big problem in our country and also parents need to know the causes of watching too much television.
ii. What experience or connection do you have to the topic (work experience, reading, classroom work, hobbies)?
I do not have a connection with this topic but I think that people should know all the life threaten illnesses television can cause.
iii. What have you learned about your topic so far?
I learned that children, who start watching television at a very young age, can cause mental illnesses, slower development, and also obesity. Studies have shown that many children have high blood presser from watching too much television and being around a TV most of the day.
iv. How much can you expect your classmates and instructor to know about the topic?
I expect that my classmates and instructor will learn a lot from this topic because many people do not know the causes to health from watching television. Not only is television bad for your health but also children do not use their imagination as much with all the different cartoons on television.
v. What is your overall goal for the paper—what purpose will it serve?
My overall goal is to inform people about the dangers in television. Even though a TV screen does not look harmful or that it can cause illness in the future, it is very harmful to young children and I want people to know that.

My topic for this paper is Generation Television. I am going to explain all the negative aspects watching television as young kids are for their health, behavior, and also their future. The paper will explain how studies show that over the years children has developed high blood presser, television has made children they have became obese, and also how their brain activity has developed slower for children who has watched television since they were infants.
i. How have you limited the time period of the topic?
I am going to find articles from the past ten years. Most of the research I have already found has conducted studies from a few years ago. If scientist started this study when I was younger, they would have found the results out just a few years ago that would be interesting to the reader since it was around their age.
ii. How have you limited the topic geographically?
I am only going to look at the downside of watching television. There is many good reasons to watch TV, but there is a lot of problems watching television can cause.
iii. What special circumstances (gender, age, income, etc.) limit the topic?
I am going to look at results between boys and girls, also at their ages between young infants to teenagers. I am going to look at the different daycares that let the children watch television and see how long the children are allowed to watch it. Do only let the children to watch one program or a whole afternoons worth of shows.

The audience that would read my topic would be new parent or couples that are going to have children in the future. Also younger adults or even teenagers who would like to be parents some day may want to read this essay. Many younger people should read this article if they are want them to have a long healthy life. Even though many would not think just sitting watching their favorite cartoon character on television would cause long term effects on their life.
a. Describe the demographics of your reading audience.
Many new parents would want to read this to know that their child’s health is at risk letting the child watch television. Also young adults who believe that they will become parents one day and will want to have a child without life long illness due to watching too much television.
b. Explain how your research is topical—why is it of interest now?
Not too long ago in the papers, scientist found that baby’s that watched too much TV have developed slower and that it is not good for that young of children to watch television.

In this paper I will mostly use article websites that talk about the effects television can cause to children. I will use mostly the cause and effect mode of writing for my paper and also some comparison and contrast.
a. Describe the type of sources (books, articles, magazines, databases, online journals, etc.) and any special techniques (field research, surveys, etc.) you intend to use to gather information.
I will mostly use articles, magazines, and online journals for this topic. Since more studies on television have recently come to the public, there will not be many books to choose from for this article.
b. What expert quotations will best serve your thesis?
“The average American child watches 19 hours and 40 minutes of TV per week--more than a thousand hours each year. (10) That means an annual exposure to thousands of commercials for junk food and fast food. Then there’s all the lost playtime--during those 20 hours each week, children are not physically active.” Or “two-thirds of infants and toddlers watch a screen an average of 2 hours a day.”
c. What images (graphs, charts, photos, etc.) do you plan to incorporate into your essay?
In many of the sources that I have looked up have had charts that show the results to different topics about how bad television is for a child.

The different research that I have done is mostly statistics that caused children bad health with television and the different effects television has caused for young children. I plan to look up more diseases television can cause for children and how far behind children that develop slowly are.
a. How successful has your research been so far? What’s your best source so far?
My research has been very useful for this topic. I have found many sources that I will use in the paper and that will help me tell readers about television.
b. What difficulties or trouble have you had locating source material?
So far I have not had any trouble locating sources. There have been many sources about the troubles television has on children
c. What additional source support do you need? What type of source material do you hope to find on your research days this week?
I hope that I will be able to find out how slowly children are developing that has sat in front of the television since they were toddlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment